Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Cliff

Default Smoked turkey skin question.

Just finished up a practice turkey on the smoker. I usually fry em for the
holidays but this year I want to smoke about 6 for the family gathering next
month.
12lb bird, 225 degrees, apple/hickory combo on the wood, for 4 hours was
just about right. Also used a pan of water/mango wine cooler underneath the
bird.. A pint of Evan Williams for me.
Damm thing nearly fell apart as I carefully pulled it off the grate. lol
Rubbed and injected it with my secret sauce (a mixtuire of creol butter
liquid, a raspberry bq sauce) last night and stuffed a couple of goodsize
chicken/apple sausages inside it for good measure. Anyway, the meat was
juicy and unbelieveably tasty.
(6 teenagers are napping with full bellies on my basement floor for proof
lol) BUT the skin was tough and unedible but at least pulled away from the
meat easily. Looks as though I neglected that part.
Any suggestions as to do a better job on the skin? What, when and how often
would you suggest?

Cliff