Posted to alt.food.vegan
C. James Strutz

Default Bean Soup

"usual suspect" > wrote in message

>>>I'm not hung up on "original" diet nonsense because we're not a static
>>>species. We're constantly evolving and adapting. Accordingly, I think
>>>humans and other primates thrive on a varied diet. We are what we are
>>>today because someone swinging in the old family tree decided to try
>>>eating meat. That eventually led to greater and more complex brain
>>>development (more so for some of us than others).
>>>
>>>http://www.fi.edu/brain/fats.htm

>> Very interesting.

> It is, and I think the concept of evolution -- dynamic adaptation and
> physiological and genetic changes ultimately stemming from it -- shows the
> folly of the peculiar suggestions made by dietary Luddites (e.g., vegan
> raw food advocates) that modern man should base his diet on either what
> other primate species eat or what they think certain early hominids ate.

Maybe so if that's their rationalle. I had always assumed that the raw
foodists were mostly concerned about health - that cooking diminishes the
nutritional value of food. In the same light, I don't think that anyone here
is arguing that people should be vegetarians because they think humans were
intended to eat plants. This threat drifted awhile back when somebody made
that comment that they didn't think that humans were intended to eat only
plants. In the end, it's not as much a matter of intention as it is cause
and effect in our evolutionary process.

> Not all fatty acids are created equal. I addressed this issue a couple
> weeks ago. The differences between the plant-based and animal-based FAs
> are substantial, and the research seems to confirm it. Flax isn't a direct
> substitute for the FAs found in oily cold-water fish because the omega-3
> FAs in the flax are short-chained and because the flax contains a
> tremendous amount of omega-6. In comparison, fish oils are long-chained
> and have a lot more omega-3 than omega-6.

Is this why you started eating fish again?