Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

Default Deep fried byproduct

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 13:40:23 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
>> pix924 wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm fairly certain in the "olden days"
>> > when my house was new they would have dumped it outdoors.

>> What wrong with that? It's not like petroleum
>> oils and greases which do not biodegrade.
>>
>> > I know what to expect here from the usual
>> > suspects, and yet I am still curious enough to ask.

>> You take all the fun out of it. :-(

>I've never tried composting grease, but I don't do any deep frying
>either. Will it compost???

Interesting question. The advice is inconsistent. Generally, home
composters are told not to compost grease and oil, among other things.
However, it seems that there are some composting facilities that will
take it.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...t/compost.html
http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Bro...proj/owst1195/
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/s...647001285.html

I suspect that whether or not it breaks down, in the interim the used
grease in the compost pile would attract animals, etc.

One possibility would be to bring it to a rendering facility if one is
close by. I doubt they'd pick it up from a home, but might accept it
if dropped off.

from http://tinyurl.com/7hrjb
Waste oils and grease

Free grease is that used for or generated by cooking
and has not been mixed with water. It is
generated from pots, pans, grills, and deep fat
fryers and comes from butter, lard, vegetable
fats and oils, meats, nuts, and cereals. Free
grease should be kept out of the drains and
handled separately. Rendering facilities may
purchase free grease and meat wastes and provide
storage and collection. The market price
depends upon factors such as volume, quality,
and hauling distances. The rendering services
will process free grease by sampling it for pesticides
and other chemicals and filtering and
volatizing impurities before reselling it, where
prices may range from one to three cents per
pound. If the volume of the wastes generated
from one restaurant or cafeteria is too small
for the rendering facility, businesses should explore
the feasibility of setting up a cooperative
collection among similar businesses.

Sue(tm)