Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Default Deep fried byproduct

pix924 wrote:

> I would like to know what folks do with the grease left over from
> deep-frying. I do not do this to my food very often, and I will store
> some in my electric fryer, which has a top to keep it somewhat free of
> contamination in between uses. There are times one needs to change it,
> as when it has been a month or so between uses, when you want to fry
> something that will leave some flavor in the grease, when you fry
> something that leaves a lot of bits at the bottom of the fryer, etc. I
> also do some frying on the stove. I have no idea how to deal with used
> oil. I hold bacon grease in the fridge.

I live in the country and have good sized yard with lots of trees. There is
always a tree stump or root that needs to be burned out. I pour the old oil
on a stump and start a fire around it. The old grease burns up and helps to
get rid of the stump. I once used it to get rid of a hornet next. I had found
the next while mowing the lawn earlier in the say. I heat up the oil and
poured into a large pan, took it back to the next after dark when the nasty
critters were asleep, then got a small fire going on top that was fuelled by
the hot oil It killed to birds (and hundreds of hornets) with one stone.