Posted to rec.food.preserving
Hermione

Default Enchilada sauce

zxcvbob wrote:

> Hermione wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>>> Does this look cannable to y'all, or will the flour break down during
>>> the pressure canning? (probably pack hot and process about 20 minutes
>>> @ 11 pounds in pint jars) This isn't the actual recipe I'm gonna use
>>> but it's one I pulled off the web just now and it is *very* close.
>>> My recipe (at home) uses ground Chimayo chiles and has a little
>>> oregano in it, and the tomato sauce is optional -- I'll probably
>>> triple the recipe for canning and put in one (8 oz) can of tomato
>>> sauce for the whole batch. All the major proportions are the same:
>>>
>>> Enchilada Sauce
>>>
>>> 2 tablespoons vegetable oil [or lard]
>>> 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
>>> 2 tablespoons hot chili powder
>>> 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
>>> 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
>>> 2 cups water
>>> 1 teaspoon salt
>>> 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
>>>
>>> Heat oil in large 2-quart saucepan; stir in flour and chili powder;
>>> cook for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients bring to a boil and
>>> simmer for about 10 minutes. Makes 3 cups sauce.
>>>
>>> * * *
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob

>> Bob, regarding the flour breaking down, IMO, yes it will. I canned a
>> condensed tomato soup recipe that called for butter and flour. The
>> recipe said to bwb but with the butter and flour I thought it should
>> be pressured canned. The resulting soup is very good but not thick
>> like condensed should be despite the flour. The flour broke right
>> down As far as the recipe above, I would likely freeze it serving
>> sizes instead of canning it. Depending on how much you think you will
>> use each time, either freeze in ice cube tray or muffin tin then pop
>> out and store in ziploc. HTH

> When the flour broke down, it didn't get sweet did it? If the sauce
> thins out, that's not that bad. If it gets sweet because the
> gelatinized starch breaks down into dextrose, that would be bad.

I can't be 100% sure but IMO the resulting soup concentrate was sweeter
than it should be so I would assume that was from the flour breaking
down. The soup concentrate is still quite good. I'm woondering if you
could use the high heat *clear gel* in place of the flour. I would be
tempted to try a batch to see what happens. The only real problem I see
with your recipe is you are taking something that was canned and
re-canning it. It would be better if you could make the sauce from
scratch, add a little lemon or lime juice and the seasonings then reduce
it to the desired consistency without the flour. Then can it up. I've
done this with tomato paste making it into taco hot sauce without a
problem but this year I got a nicer tasting hot sauce using freshly made
tomato paste.

> I buy the commercial stuff in 10 and 19 ounce cans, and use whole cans
> at a time. So pints jars would be just about right. It's kind of
> expensive for what it is, and I can make it better cheaper. I may try
> canning a small batch and see how it goes...

Out of curiosity, how much does the commercial stuff cost? Making your
own even using commercial tomato sauce should be quite a bit cheaper.