Posted to rec.food.preserving
Hermione

Default Enchilada sauce

zxcvbob wrote:

> Does this look cannable to y'all, or will the flour break down during
> the pressure canning? (probably pack hot and process about 20 minutes @
> 11 pounds in pint jars) This isn't the actual recipe I'm gonna use but
> it's one I pulled off the web just now and it is *very* close. My
> recipe (at home) uses ground Chimayo chiles and has a little oregano in
> it, and the tomato sauce is optional -- I'll probably triple the recipe
> for canning and put in one (8 oz) can of tomato sauce for the whole
> batch. All the major proportions are the same:
>
> Enchilada Sauce
>
> 2 tablespoons vegetable oil [or lard]
> 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
> 2 tablespoons hot chili powder
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
> 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
> 2 cups water
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
>
> Heat oil in large 2-quart saucepan; stir in flour and chili powder; cook
> for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients bring to a boil and simmer for
> about 10 minutes. Makes 3 cups sauce.
>
> * * *
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Bob, regarding the flour breaking down, IMO, yes it will. I canned a
condensed tomato soup recipe that called for butter and flour. The
recipe said to bwb but with the butter and flour I thought it should be
pressured canned. The resulting soup is very good but not thick like
condensed should be despite the flour. The flour broke right down
As far as the recipe above, I would likely freeze it serving sizes
instead of canning it. Depending on how much you think you will use
each time, either freeze in ice cube tray or muffin tin then pop out and
store in ziploc. HTH