Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

Default Plastic bakeware?

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> After speaking of the mini muffin tins, I see that our local mega
> grocery store chain (Jewel) has a display of bake ware that looks like
> plastic (nylon, or?). Very flexible. Muffin pans, flat "cookie
> sheets,", bread pans, round bowls for unknown use -- plus sleeves for
> pan handles and "grabbers" (look like claws) I guess in place of pot
> holders to hold things from the oven.
> .
> Has anybody used these things? Are they worth it? The muffin trays
> and bread pans are so flexible, I would guess you have to set them on
> sheet pans to get them in and out of the oven to keep them from
> flexing and spilling. They are priced at, mostly, five dollars each.
> Is there any advantage in these versus getting basic aluminum pans?
> I'm planning for large quantity batch baking.
> .
> TIA

The only real advantage that I see in flexible silicone bakeware is that it
doesn't take up much room to store. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't have
problem with things sticking with conventional bakeware. The flexible stuff
is offered in limited sizes and shapes, so you don't have many choices. If
you want something unusual you have to get the professional lines and then
the price is more like $35 - $50, not $5.