Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

Default fresh tuna

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> Several years ago (longer than I care to admit), after a meeting in central
> Tokyo we went to the restaurant at the top of one of the Shinjuku
> skyscrapers.
> They took a large rectangle of tuna dropped of the 6 sides onto what looked
> like
> a cast iron very very hot flat pan and charred each side. The center was
> cold
> and the tuna was cooked only a few millimeters in. The tuna was sliced into
> 1/4
> inch slices and served with some various sauces. At first I was a little
> reluctant - from the first taste on I was a believer. We're talking major
> yum.

I understand that some of these fish sell for US$50,000!

ObFish: We went to the Monterrey Aquarium some years back, after they
built their new tank. The Big One. Whole schools of tuna swimming in
there. They had ocean sunfish, which were unbelievable. They were a
disc, thin and perfectly round. Up to 3000 pounds and 11 feet in
diameter!

http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/outerbay.asp

--
Dan Abel