Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

Default fresh tuna

"Peter Huebner" > wrote in message
t...

> Oh, but we got lucky yesterday. Went into town and found the fish shop
> had some fresh tuna. (***Fresh***) Pricey, but what the hell. I got
> about 350g between Suze and myself ... got home, cut tuna into maybe
> 3/4" slices, sprinkled with blk.pepper, salt, lemon juice and into the
> smoking olive oil they went. Seared to a medium brown both sides I
> reduced the heat and did them for another 4 minutes or so ... side dish
> of mashed potatoes (I worked the oil-and-tuna-fat from the pan into the
> mash with a pinch of nutmeg & salt) and that was it. Tried topping the
> steaks on the plate with a bit of avocado and lemon, just lemon, or
> nothing ... found the avocado a little too distracting, the other two
> were equally good.
>
> Mmmmmh - Hmmmmm. A rare treat :-)
>
> -P.

Several years ago (longer than I care to admit), after a meeting in central
Tokyo we went to the restaurant at the top of one of the Shinjuku skyscrapers.
They took a large rectangle of tuna dropped of the 6 sides onto what looked like
a cast iron very very hot flat pan and charred each side. The center was cold
and the tuna was cooked only a few millimeters in. The tuna was sliced into 1/4
inch slices and served with some various sauces. At first I was a little
reluctant - from the first taste on I was a believer. We're talking major yum.

Dimitri