Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Default TN: rather dull wines- CA PN and '03 Chianti

Monday was a hectic day for both of us, and we decided to visit the new
restaurant/grill in town. Our favorite Cajun place had closed a few
years ago (replaced by an Irish place that I referred to as "the Dublin
House of Dysentery"), but recently the Irish place closed down
(shockingly not because of health department), and Brian who had owned
the Cajun place took lease back over. New place isn't Cajun, but all
that Betsy cared about was that Brian put his ribs on the menu.
Jambalaya also returned, so Betsy ordered ribs, I ordered jambalaya,
and David fried chicken. They were out of the Saw Mill Pale Ale I
ordered, and then Betsy decided she'd have wine afterall. List is small
and tavernish- Louis Martini, da Vinci Chianti, etc- no bottle over
$25, but the by the glass list was worse- zin, cab, merlot, and chard
from one of those restaurant only labels. . I ordered a bottle of the
2003 Mirassou Pinot Noir.Sweet cherry fruit, a little oak, a little
empty. Not especially evocative of Pinot Noir, but a pleasant enough
innocuous red soft wine. C+

Tuesday Betsy made "polpette" - veal meatballs with some Gorgonzola,
served over pasta with wild mushrooms in a cream sauce. I opened a
375ml of 2003 Viticcio Chianti Classico. Less acidity and more
fruit-driven than a typical Chianti, but the vintage explains that.
Ripe red plum and cherry fruit, with a little sweet vanilla around the
edge. OK medium-bodied wine, but don't think I would have guessed
Chianti (or even Sangiovese) blind - more like one of those Umbrian
Merlot-based blends. Still, ok for an inexpensive CC. B-

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.