David Rhodes

Default BOX CAKES

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> An insert in my Sunday paper caught my eye;
> "How to make elaborate cakes, using box-cake mix"
>
> The pictures had me drooling,
> but the price, ( 4 easy payments of $7.99 ) was a turn-off.
>
> I recently tried one such recipe;
> Yellow box cake, 4 eggs, oil, pudding,
> and a few cups of diced apples.
> While the toothpick said "done"
> the bottom was still gooey, and half-baked.
>
> If you're a box-cake user,
> is there anything you add to make it "special" ?
>
> ( I'm NOT gonna buy the $32 book )
>

> <rj>

I have not tried this receipe but I did watch Paula Deen of the Food Network
prepare it on Saturday and it looked wonderful and is very easy to prepare.

Is It Really Better Than Sex? Cake

1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 (3.4-ounce) box French vanilla pudding, plus ingredients to prepare
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup flaked, sweetened toasted coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare yellow cake mix as directed using a greased 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan
and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. While cake is baking, combine the pineapple
and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat
stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

Remove cake from oven and using a fork, pierce holes into cake. Pour
pineapple mixture over hot cake and set aside.

Prepare pudding according to package directions. Spread pudding over cake
and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Whip heavy cream and remaining
sugar until stiff. Cover top of cake with whipped cream and sprinkle toasted
coconut on top.