Professor

Default 2 Barbaresco, 1 CdR, 1 Dao, 1 St. Julien

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Professor wrote:
>> Dale,
>> Did your wife prepare the Brasato al Barolo from a recipe book? If so,
>> which one? Which cut of beef did she choose? I've recently acquired the
>> book A Passion for Piedmont and am curious whether there are others books
>> on Piedmontese cuisine worth having.

> Hey, good to see you back here, "Prof" ;-) FWIW, OSU looks pretty good
> this year, though it looks like it's PSU's year in the Big 10.
>
> Mark Lipton

Hey Mark,
It is nice to check in. It is too early to tell if PSU can sustain their
winning ways. The Big 10 has several teams capable of spoiling Joe Pa's
last hurrah.

BTW I prepared the Brasato di Manzo al Vino Rosso and Risotto con Vino Rosso
from the book A Passion for Piedmont and enjoyed them both. The Brasato
recipe was much like Beef Burgundy but with subtle differences such as
adding a pinch of cinnamon and including neither garlic nor bouquet garni in
the marinade. The author suggested substituting brisket for sirloin tip, a
change I doubt purists would endorse.

The risotto recipe had the stock and wine added separately, suggesting that
simmering the wine and stock together somehow ruins it. I have my doubts.
Dale's wife has the right idea, take the most appealing aspects of different
recipes and combine them.