Chef Juke

Default So Near and yet So Far...(I could almost SMELL the que from 20,000 feet)

Hey all,

Been busier than I-don't-know-what lately and haven't posted much, but
am definitely overdue...

First off, a belated Happy Anniversary to Dave's Pit-Smoked
Bar-B-Que...here's wishing you many more.

My work sent me on a last-minute trip to New York last week and I
tried to get to some of the BBQ joints in town, but only made it to
the same place I visited last time, Bubby's in Brooklyn. It's not
really a BBQ place, although it serves what they say is real smoked
BBQ brisket and Pulled Pork sandwiches. Last time I had the pork,
this time I had the brisket. While it was tender, it was definitely
missing something. Little or no noticible smoke flavor and all in all
rather bland. The bartender, Max, however was great and joined me in
trying a new beer they were selling....HE'BREW "The Chosen Beer"
Genesis Ale (see http://www.shmaltz.com/ )

After a big long laugh over the label, I decided I needed to try it
and as Max hadn't tried it yet I offered him some (the beer ended up
being on the house - Thanks Max) anyway, pretty good stuff.

I hadn't realized until late in the week that Dinosaur Barbecue from
upstate NY had opened up a New York sattelite restaurant and it was
only a few blocks from my Uncle's Apt. where I was staying. By the
time I found out it was 8:30 on Friday Night and when we called the
wait was at least 2 hours and we decided to pass. Oh well, next time.

On the return flight last night as we neared Seattle the pilot noted
that out the left side of the plane we could see Wenatchee....I looked
down and sure enough, the lights of beautiful Wenatchee were laid out
below us like a little neon sign pointing the way to Dave's. I
immediately wished I had been able to take a weekend trip up for
"anniversary weekend" and surprise Dave & Jill, but both finances and
car trouble made that impossible....but I'm hoping before the snows
set in that we'll be able to make a trip up.

Anyway, that's my update...haven't smoked anything in about 3 weeks
and I'm getting anxious...maybe I'll stop by the store and get some
fixings on the way home tonight and make some smoked sausage...

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"