Chembake

Default Eliminating Phytates Question

>Does anyone know if the buttermilk (2 cups) will
>eliminate the phytates even though the dough is kept at a cold temp in
>about 3 or 4 hours at room temp
>before baking. It seems that is helping to eliminate the phytic acids
>from the grains, but I want to make sure I am doing this correctly

What is responsible for the removal of phytates is the enzyme phytase
which is present in certain microbes such as yeast and fungi and in
grains itself
They are known to work at a temperature range of 35 deg C to 63 deg C
inactivating the phytin which is
Therefore I doubt if soaking grains at refrigerated temperatures is
effective in removing phytates in ground whole grains.