Mike Stancliff

Default Eliminating Phytates Question

BigJohn wrote:

> The Question: Does anyone know if the buttermilk (2 cups) will
> eliminate the phytates even though the dough is kept at a cold temp in
> the frig?

I dunno about buttermilk, but I have read that sourdough can reduce
phytates.

From "Effect of natural starters used for sourdough bread in Morocco on
phytate biodegradation"
(http://www.emro.who.int/Publications...1_2/effect.htm)

"It has previously been reported that lactic acid fermentation can
reduce phytate levels in bread fermentation [8,9]. Khetarpaul and
Chauhan have reported that mixed cultures of yeasts and lactobacilli may
reduce the phytate content of bread [10]."

And from NUTRITIONAL CHARACTERISTICS of ORGANIC, FRESHLY STONE-GROUND,
SOURDOUGH & - CONVENTIONAL BREADS
(http://www.eap.mcgill.ca/Publications/EAP35.htm)

"In an acidic environment, the enzyme phytase from the wheat is very
active and breaks down phytates, so they cannot reduce mineral
absorption (Sablier, 1984)."

Hope this helps.

Mike