Debbie

Default Herbal garden

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

| "Debbie" > wrote in message
| >

| > I had herbs in a raised container that was 4 feet deep. It was great.
| > filled the bulk of the container with sand for drainage and put good
earth
| > on top of that. I had 3 containers 4' high, 4' long and 2' wide.
Besides
| > herbs I grew root veggies. My last year at the house I grew tomatoes.
| > They
| > were the best tomatoes I ever grew. Everyone asked what we did. Wish I
| > had
| > a picture of them to show you.
| >
| > Debbie
|
| Thanks, Debbie for the dimensions. Yes, I wish you had a picture.

I will try to explain what we did and perhaps you can get a picture of it in
your head. We made them like tall window boxes. We cut 5 pieces of 4'x8'
plywood in half for the sides. Six of these made the side panels 4'x4'. We
took 3 of the other halves and cut them in half again. There was 1 half
left over. That made the end pieces 2' x 4'. That gives you the
dimensions. We did the same with lattice boards to attach to the outside
for purely cosmetic reasons. Now as to the build, I really can't detail
alot. I know a frame was built with 2"x4"s with 4"x4"s for the corners. I
know there was talk about cross pieces in the form to keep the sides etc
from bulging. We put some sort of decorative thing around the top edge as
well. This kept sweaters etc from getting caught on a rough finish and gave
it a nice look for the yard. If my situation had been different and I was
still living there, I would have had more of these made. They were great.
Easy to plant, easy to harvest. No bending. I kept the soil a few inches
from the top so that in spring I could plant early and spread a cover
tightly over the top at night if there was a risk of frost. By the time the
plant had grown over the top and I would need to worry about crushing it,
the frost risk would be over.

Debbie