Doug Kanter

Default tasteless apples

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "rmg" > wrote:
>
>> I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and
>> hard
>> with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very fibrous so they're
>> useful for that. What can I do to improve them? Would they become more
>> inspirational if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want
>> add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> - rox

> I don't know the purported characteristics of that variety (keeping
> quality, good for eating, sauce, pie, baking, etc.)

From http://www.fowlerfarms.com/apple_varieties.htm:
"Gala, a new variety developed in New Zealand. It's got the mild flavor that
"picky eaters" prefer and a striking bright yellow-red color that attracts
the eye."

You'll notice that this company can find something interesting to say about
almost all their other apples, but not Gala. Mild flavor for picky eaters?
But, it sounds like a pretty apple, perfect for putting in a bowl for art
class students to paint pictures of. :-)