Marcella Peek

Default Cobbler Query

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> My mother made a really great fruit cobbler and I have her recipe
> around here somewhere <fists on hips, scanning recipe software, old
> 3x5 cards, old journal-type recipe book> and I cannot find the d*mned
> thing. I've made cobblers for years and have never really been happy
> with the topping. Too dense, but I can't find a recipe that produces
> the light, fluffy topping my mother made. Anyone have a good topping
> recipe that is, uh, light and fluffy? (Okay, Tee, define "light and
> fluffy": you can easily poke a spoon through it and it's not an inch
> thick.)
>
> TIA,
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

This one is cake like. We really like it.

Fresh Peach Cobbler
1 1/2 C thinly sliced peaches
1 C sugar
1/4 C water
1 egg
1 T shortening
1 T milk
1/2 C flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
Preheat oven to 375 and grease an 11 x 7 inch baking dish.

In a medium sized saucepan, combine peaches, 1/2 C sugar and water.
Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

In a bowl beat together the egg, remaining 1/2 C sugar and the
shortening until fluffy. Add milk and stir in the flour, baking powder
and salt.

Spread batter in greased baking dish and pour hot peaches over all.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes and serve warm.

serves 6

marcella