Janet Bostwick

Default Pumpkin custard ?

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> Anything I should be alert about or not do?
>
> I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

I've always baked them--sometimes in a casserole dish to serve family style
and sometimes in little custard cups. I used the same baking directions, I
can't remember off hand, but maybe 400F for 15 minutes and 350F until done.
I just use the jiggle or knife test to tell when they are done. I've never
put them in a water bath either. It's always worked out fine but when I
started doing this years ago, I wasn't smart enough to think that it might
not work out. I actually prefer doing pumpkin custard because I detest
making pie crust and I love the pumpkin stuffing. I might do that this
weekend. After all the talk about turkeys and broth, I'm thawing a turkey
for the Nesco. Good Luck.
Janet