Sheldon

Default Inflated Restaurant Food Names

Dean G. wrote:
> Salad-nicoise is more than just Tuna. Indeed, salad-nicoise may be the
> shortest way to accurately describe what it is. Given that
> salad-nicoise is a bad example, I'm sure there are plenty of good
> examples. Check the menus of pretentious new restauraunts, many of
> which are posted online.

"à la Niçoise" means nothing and everything, means whatever the
particular cook wants it to mean but only within certain very basic
parameters, same as Irish Stew means whatever the particular cook wants
that to mean but within certain very basic parameters also... all it
means is salad as prepared in Nice, which of course means as much as
Irish Stew represents all stew as prepared in Ireland, like there's
some sort of law declaring of what it must consist. The OP's query is
legitimate and your reply is total double talk gobbledygook, in fact a
non answer... and to tell folks to "look on line" is about as
newbie-ish as it gets... Usenet IS on line... and to admonish folks to
use an internet search engine without indicating an example of precise
search <terms> AND an example of the results of ones own search makes
one unfit for participation on Usenet... you, sir, with your attitude,
do not belong here.

niçoise, à la [nee-SWAHZ]
A French phrase that means "as prepared in Nice," typifying the cuisine
found in and around that French Riviera city. This cooking style is
identified with hot and cold dishes that include the integral
ingredients of tomatoes, black olives, garlic and anchovy. Salade
niçoise contains these basic ingredients plus French green beans,
onions, tuna, hard-cooked eggs and herbs.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Sheldon