pearl

Default USDA vets question agency's mad cow lab

"John Gaquin" > wrote in message ...

> Wouldn't it seem that any concerned vets could send samples to an
> independent lab for confirmation? That would effectively squelch
> speculation.

'Without an outside lab also conducting tests, "we are not going to
have a very independent analysis. It's very easy to control the results,"
The international panel's report advised the USDA to decentralize
its mad cow testing program and permit other labs around the
country to conduct tests and help facilitate the rapid testing of
suspect animals.

Friedlander said decentralizing the testing would be a good start
toward restoring confidence in the results. Right now, he added,
"Nobody is actually questioning the lab" or conducting
confirmation tests of the results.
...'
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=...9-061848-3665r