Philippe JAOUEN

Default Are brandy barrels charred?

Droopy a écrit :
> Strange, if they re-char I wonder why they do not get the same color
> contribution that a burbon maker gets from teh same barrel. Bourbon by
> law cannot have any flavoring or coloring added.
>
> How much color does the wood itself impart. I have never aged a white
> wine in oak, but I have drank them....they are not particularily brown.

I use renewed barrels for Calvados aging : they are dismantled, planed,
reassembled and lightly charred.

The aim is little wood taste (it is not cognac!)
After 4 years the color is light

most of makers add caramel (and forget to mention it on the label)

--
Salutations Philippe JAOUEN GnuPG Key ID: 0x6533CCED
Ferme du Ponctey : http://www.rurintel.com/ponctey