Susan

I haven't run into this problem - my knife block is a flat drawer insert
and easy to clean - but if it's mostly loose crud, you could probably
blow it out with canned air (like they sell for dusting electronics).
Otherwise, I'd try wrapping an old blade in a soft cloth with a little
lemon oil or such on it - an oil would clean the wood without ruining it
and won't rust your knives if it gets on them - and running it in and
out of the block until it comes out clean.