Glitter Ninja

"jacqui{JB}" > writes:

>Just exactly the right response. Welcome to the kitchenware slut club,
>we who collect any number of things, for various reasons, that rarely get
>used, but are much treasured for any number of reasons. Just take it from
>me, someone who has going on 1500 cookbooks.

That is amazing. I have about 20, the craziest one being a cookbook
mom bought at the Missouri State Fair in the early 80s; it's got
recipes for racoon and squirrel in it!

>Care to share any recipes?

The Walnetto Casserole you posted sounds good!
Mom got this one from the back of a food product and it's sort of "by
scratch". I'm not sure what food product it was, but it's really tasty
and uses a lot of low-fat or fat-free ingredients. (If you use the
full-fat versions of some of the stuff, it is very rich.)

Southwestern Chicken Casserole

2 cups cooked chicken
1 8-ounce can mushroom pieces, drained
16-ounce container fat free sour cream
1/2 large white onion, chopped
1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, undrained
14 ounces (one can) fat free chicken broth
about 16 small or 8 large flour fat free tortillas cut into 4ths or 8ths
2 cups grated cheddar (fat free, if you can find it)
1 T corn starch
1 T flour

For the chicken, I prefer to cut chicken breasts into strips, sprinkle
with fajita seasonings and grill. Any chicken will do, even
pre-packaged, seasoned chicken.

Spray a 9x13 casserole with cooking spray and line bottom with some of
the tortilla pieces.

Saute onion in 3 T of the broth on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add
rest of the broth and sour cream. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add the flour
and cornstarch, mixing with a wisk. Stir in the chiles and mushrooms.
Fold the chicken into the sauce and heat through. Spoon about 1/3 of
the sauce over the tortilla pieces in the casserole and sprinkle with
1/2 cup of the cheddar. Layer with more tortilla pieces. Repeat
layers, topping the entire casserole with the remaining cheese. Bake at
350 for 40 to 45 minutes. Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 6.