p. clouston

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 03:20:04 GMT, "Steve Jackson"
> wrote:

>Even that question ends up being a bit broad. I don't know of anywhere that
>has stores that sell beer and wine and absolutely nothing else. There are
>states, however, that don't allow any alcohol sales in groceries. Minnesota
>and Oklahoma come immediately to mind. You have to go to a liquor store
>there, where they sell beer, wine and hard alcohol, and no real food to
>speak of (some pretzels and jerkey and the like, at least in Minnesota).
>
>I'd say that states that allow full alcohol sales at groceries and drug
>stores are in the minority, although the last three I've lived in
>(California, Illinois and Indiana) all allow it. But a lot of places keep
>hard liquor out of groceries and drug stores, even if they allow beer and
>wine (places like New York and Washington; Wisconsin, too, IIRC).
>
>As for the original question, PA requires beer to be bought from beer
>distributors (or whatever the rigth term is - stores that sell beer by the
>case) or by the 6-pack from bars. I don't believe grocery or drug store
>sales are allowed.

Here in Kansas, you can only buy 3.2% beer in grocery and convenience
stores. When I was 18, you were allowed to buy the 3.2 beer. There
were bars that sold only sold the 3.2 beer that 18 year olds could go
to. The drinking age was changed to 21 across the board, but the 3.2
beer still survives.

All liquor, wine, and beer must be sold in liquor stores. The liquor
stores can sell nothing else, no mixers, ice, corkscrews, etc. Many
liquor stores have shops right next door that sell mixers, ice,
tobacco, etc. They have to have separate entrances, as well as being a
separate company. Within the last year or so, Sunday sales were
allowed. It started with areas near the Missouri state line, because
the stores claimed they were losing business.

In Missouri, grocery, convenience and drug stores can sell anything.
They have decent selections, but for beer, you really need to go to a
liquor store. It's very similar to California.

Pete Clouston
Lawrence (KS) Brewers Guild
http://www.lawrencebrewers.org