Dr Hfuhruhurr

Jen wrote:
> Why do woks need to be seasoned. How do you do it, and how often?

Seasoning a Wok effectively gives it a non-stick coating. A well
seasoned wok is easy to clean and maintain.

1. Rinse the wok in hot water with small amount of liquid detergent.

2. Scrub the exterior of the wok with a scouring pad.

3. Repeat the process on the inside of the wok, using a sponge
instead of a scouring pad.

4. Rinse the wok and dry thoroughly.

5. Place the wok on low-medium heat.

6. Pour approximately 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into the wok.

7. Use a paper towel to rub the oil over the entire inside surface of
the wok.

8. Heat the wok for about 10 minutes.

9. Wipe off the oil with another paper towel. There will be black
residue on the towel.

10. Allow the wok to cool.

11. Repeat steps 6 through 9 until no black residue comes up on the
paper (about 3 times). The wok is now ready to use.

Tips:
Flat bottomed woks are better for electric ranges. Round bottomed woks
can reflect heat back on the heating element, damaging it.
It is important to thoroughly clean the wok to remove the
manufacturer's protective coating.
It is better not to purchase a non-stick carbon steel wok, as the high
heats required for Chinese cooking may damage the non-stick coating.
If you do purchase a non-stick wok, follow the seasoning and cleaning
instructions carefully, or you may damage the coating.
More How To's from your Guide To Chinese Cuisine

I can't remember where I got this info from but I refer to it just to
make sure my wok is tip top.

Doc