Steve Jackson

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> OK, I guess I meant, "do you have to
> go to a separate store to buy beer & wine?"
>
> As opposed to like here in California,
> where you can buy any alcoholic beverage
> in the grocery store, along with your bread & butter,
> meat and potatos, etc.

Even that question ends up being a bit broad. I don't know of anywhere that
has stores that sell beer and wine and absolutely nothing else. There are
states, however, that don't allow any alcohol sales in groceries. Minnesota
and Oklahoma come immediately to mind. You have to go to a liquor store
there, where they sell beer, wine and hard alcohol, and no real food to
speak of (some pretzels and jerkey and the like, at least in Minnesota).

I'd say that states that allow full alcohol sales at groceries and drug
stores are in the minority, although the last three I've lived in
(California, Illinois and Indiana) all allow it. But a lot of places keep
hard liquor out of groceries and drug stores, even if they allow beer and
wine (places like New York and Washington; Wisconsin, too, IIRC).

As for the original question, PA requires beer to be bought from beer
distributors (or whatever the rigth term is - stores that sell beer by the
case) or by the 6-pack from bars. I don't believe grocery or drug store
sales are allowed.

-Steve