Bill S.

Default Pesquera, McCrea and La Chapelle

Notes from a dinner with friends while on a wine buying expedition:

1996 Pesquera - this crianza was showing quite well, with slightly
funky cherry vanilla nose, good concentration and the tannins still
slightly on the firm side. No rush. I have enjoyed the 94,95, and 96
vintages of this wine - all are continuing to drink well.

2003 McCrea Sirocco - from Washington, this Rhone blend is 55%
Grenache, 27% syrah, 14% mourvedre and 4% counoise. The Grenache comes
through in the nose, and it is fairly ripe but not to the degree that
you'd be thinking of Australia if you were tasting it blind. In fact
it does a better job of emulating a Rhone than many Californian Rhone
blends do. Good length and the fruit enjoyable but not too sweet nor
over the top. I much prefer this to Cigar Volante, for instance.

1982 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle - this one is an old friend - I
split a case with my host on release and we have been drinking it back
and forth for the last 20 years - his cellar is warmer than mine, so
it has been interesting to note differences. My last tasting was a year
ago when my friend also opened it (I brought an 82 La Lagune). Edges
were browning a bit, medium garnet colour, warm slightly sweet nose
with earth, soy and coffee notes, tannins now soft, smooth and long.
All that a mature Rhone should be!