Bunny McElwee

Default best apples for jelly

I would like to make some juice for Apple Jelly. I've tried in t he
past, with both regular apples as well as a bottled apple juice. Both turned
out like syrup, not jelly, both used Sure Jell, followed the directions, to
no avail. What are the best type of apples to use for jelly? Most recipes
say xx number of pounds of apples, but they don't say what kind. Some say
sour apples, but do they mean Granny Smith? My grandmothers apple jelly was
always a pinkish/red color, and that would be untrue of a granny smith. She
also says she's always made her jelly from the skins of red apples, hence
the pinkish/red jelly, but can't remember what kind. Can anyone lead me in
the right direction? I understand Red Delicious is not an acceptable choice
since it is not "sour" enough. Any help would be appreciated.

I've had similar issues with Grape Jelly. My problem is I don't live in
an area that has access to Concords, so I can't use them. The only access I
have is to Red Globes (Do not make jelly, but make a pretty sickening sweet
syrup, much to my dismay) Red seedless and green grapes. I've also tried to
make jelly from bottled or frozen concentrates, to no avail. They always end
up syrupy. I've not been able to find one that I can use that will setup
firm like jelly.

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Bunny McElwee
Event Coordinator & Membership

1991 Mariner Blue with Red & White Stripes
"BlueFlash"