DC.

"Jeff Lichtman" > wrote in message
news <snip>
> I only have experience with coconuts without the husks - that is, with
> only their hard, dark brown shells on the outside. I was taught to hold
> the coconut in one hand over a large bowl and whack it with the back
> edge of a cleaver (not the sharp edge!). After a few strong whacks the
> shell will crack and the liquid will run out into the bowl. Then you can
> turn the coconut and give it some more whacks on the uncracked part
> until the whole thing falls in two.

correct but look for the 3 eyes, these should be at the "top" of the
coconut, simply rotate it in your hand until the mid section faces upwards &
start hitting it with the back of your cleaver. Alternatively.. grab & screw
driver & hammer & poke out 2 or 3 of the eyes & pour out any juices. Then
you can wrap the whole coconut up in a large kitchen towel & relief some
stress by smash it up with a hammer ; )

Once it's broken into pieces, you can use a spoon & place it between the
white meat & brown shell to lever the white bits out. After this... 101
coconut recipes awaits you ; )

DC.