Jeff Lichtman

Musashi wrote:
> I've ended up with a coconut. The wife says her friend suggests simply
> peeling it down. My thinking is that you can't just "peel it down". I would
> drain the fluid, then beat it with a hammer or something to crack it.
> If anyone knows how to tackle a raw fresh coconut I would appreciate it. I
> think this is somewhat "asian". Thank you in advance.

Does the coconut still have the husk? The husk is a thick fibrous outer
layer, and is usually pale green or yellow. If the husk is still there,
you'll have to remove it before tackling the shell.

I only have experience with coconuts without the husks - that is, with
only their hard, dark brown shells on the outside. I was taught to hold
the coconut in one hand over a large bowl and whack it with the back
edge of a cleaver (not the sharp edge!). After a few strong whacks the
shell will crack and the liquid will run out into the bowl. Then you can
turn the coconut and give it some more whacks on the uncracked part
until the whole thing falls in two.

Young coconuts have whitish shells and little or no liquid. They are a
lot easier to open than mature coconuts.

--
- Jeff Lichtman
Author, Baseball for Rookies