dh@.

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:38:43 -0400, "larrylook" > wrote:

><dh@.> wrote in message ...

>>>I could have saved animal lives (by your logic) by eating my grandmother
>>>when she died.

>> You can't save animals in any way unless you go directly to where
>> they are in danger and remove them or the danger. What you buy or
>> don't buy in a store can't do anything to help animals who have already
>> lived and died. The best you could do is contribute to future animals,
>> which is something you would hate to do.

>So the farmer who acts to create more future animals is morally better than
>the one who doesn't?

He certainly provides life for more animals, whether it's "morally better"
or not. Of course a person like yourself who hates the animals could never
feel it's morally better, regardless of the quality of life.

>The person who has 4 kids is better than the person
>who has 2 who is better than the person who has 0. This seems absurd to me.
>If someone sterilizes his dog he is less moral because he prevents future
>lives. I don't think you can put future lives into the equation like this.

I can because I can also consider quality of life, and that a decent life
is a positive thing. I can believe that sometimes it's good to encourage life
and sometimes it's not. You can't do either.

>It makes no sense to me.

I believe you.

>I beef farmer is not doing something noble or
>commendable simply because he takes steps to create further cow lives. If I
>don't want more rabbits around my garden and I feed the rabbits a food that
>makes them unable to breed, I don't think I've done something unethical.

Neither do I.

>I haven't killed these future lives and I'm not morally resposible for them.
>You need to think this over a bit.

It's quite obvious that I've thought it over a lot, and consider more aspects
of the situation than you do, and probably more than you'll ever be able to.