View Single Post
  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Garry

Should you wish to have a sweeter taste, then put a pinch of stevia in or if liquid a couple of drops. Stevia is a natural sweetener that contains no sugar. It can be found in any natural food store.

I am a type 2 diabetic and my doc said it is fine for diabetics.

Below is an exerpt from the internet. Worth while read.

Stevia Helps Pancreas Release Insulin--Helpful for Diabetics
http://www.healthy.net/scr/Column.asp?Id=296

© Ray Sahelian M.D.

The natural sweetener stevioside, which is found in the plant stevia, has been used for many years in the treatment of diabetes among Indians in Paraguay and Brazil. However, the mechanism for the blood glucose-lowering effect remains unknown. A study conducted at the Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark, found that stevioside enhances insulin secretion from mouse pancreatic islets in the presence of glucose. The researchers state, "Stevioside stimulates insulin secretion via a direct action on pancreatic beta cells. The results indicate that the compounds may have a potential role as an anti-hyperglycemic agent in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus."

Ray Sahelian, M.D., co-author with Donna Gates of The Stevia Cookbook (Avery/Penguin, 1999), says, "Stevia is a wonderful alternative to sugar and artificial sweeteners for those who have diabetes. This study gives us one more reason to recommend diabetics take advantage of this safe, non-calorie herbal sweetener."

Reference: Jeppesen PB, et al. Stevioside acts directly on pancreatic beta cells to secrete insulin. Metabolism 2000 Feb;49(2):208-14. Website: www.raysahelian.com

Hope this helps.

Garry

================================================== ===========================================

"Tim Gagnon" > wrote in message news:cR4Xe.217129$Hk.34265@pd7tw1no...
> Thanks this is excatly what i was looking for.
>
> > wrote in message
> ...
>> "Tim Gagnon" > wrote:
>>
>>>Does any one know where i can go to get some recipies on diabetic home
>>>fruit
>>>canning. I cant seem to find any websites on this.
>>>Thanks Tim
>>>

>>
>> Go to http://tinyurl.com/9buqq
>>
>> This is a USDA publication on preserving fruit and fruit products.
>> It's in .pdf format and can be downloaded and saved.
>> It has the proper procedures for canning peaches, pears, etc in water
>> only, with no added sugar, which may be safely canned in a water bath
>> canner.
>> Granted, using some sugar does enhance the flavour of canned fruit.
>> However, if one uses a very light syrup (10%) and uses moderation when
>> partaking of the product one should be able to avoid a huge spike in
>> BG.
>> Good luck.
>>
>> Ross

>
>