Dee Randall

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Alex Rast" > wrote in message
>> at Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:47:57 GMT in
>> >, (Vox
>> Humana) wrote :
>>

>> >"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
>> .. .
(Dee

http://images.google.com/images?q=cinnamon+roll&hl=en

> [...]

>> more realistic (as well as more practical to eat).
>>
>> On cinnamon intensity vs. harshness, I've found that the key point is to
>> use Ceylon cinnamon. Much better, warmer, less sharp flavour. However,
>> cinnamon is perhaps the most potent spice of all, and I find too often
>> people (like Cinnabon), use it very heavy-handedly. What do you think

> about
>> mixing butter, sugar, and cinnamon first, then spreading it out on the
>> dough? The build-up you suggest sounds to me like it might lead to
>> another
>> effect that I'm not really fond of - cinnamon rolls that "unroll" when
>> you
>> pull on them. What I've seen is that often in these rolls, the cinnamon

> and
>> butter, done in layered fashion as you describe, act a bit like greasing
>> pan, preventing the rolls from staying whole. My idea is to have a
>> filling
>> that actually bonds the spiral together.

> I find that with the high sugar and butter content, the rise can often
> take
> a long time, especially at cool room temperature. I tend to like the
> intense cinnamon flavor and often supplement it with a combination of
> freshly ground allspice and nutmeg. All three spices are high in
> eugenol -
> that distinctive clove flavor. Maybe its because I'm a dentist and
> eugenol
> is in a lot of dental products, that I am fond of or desensitized to the
> flavor. I know I have overdone the spices when they cause acid reflux!
>
> I can do without the thick coat of frosting. I make some cream cheese
> frosting and if anyone wants frosting, they can add their own. My partner
> will go to the supermarket in a blizzard to get cream cheese for the
> frosting if I haven't remembered (or bothered) to buy it. I would rather
> drizzle a glaze of flat icing over the warm rolls and call it quits. In
> the
> KitchenAid cookbook, they recommend a sauce that is made from sweetened
> condensed milk, as I recall, that I have never considered making. That is
> way too sweet for me - sort of like that bread pudding recipe that is made
> with KripyKream glazed doughnuts and sweetened condensed milk. It would
> be
> enough to cause a diabetic shock!
>
> As for mixing all the filling components and then spreading them, that is
> the standard method. I'm just lazy and don't want to measure the
> ingredients or dirty another bowl. That's why I just build the filling,
> dispensing the components right from their containers. I never thought
> about the "unrolling" issue. Sometimes if I place them close together
> they
> sometime "telescope" while rising.

"I find that with the high sugar and butter content, the rise can often take
a long time, especially at cool room temperature."

For me, if I didn't want to waste my time and risk a failure, I would next
time reduce the yeast by one-half. One reason is that I don't care for a
yeasty-tasting product. The rise took a very short time, IMO, is one reason
I felt that there was too much yeast.
1 packet yeast = 2-1/4 teaspoon yeast, right? so it called for 4-1/2
teaspoons. Since I don't make this kind of product generally, all I know is
how to compare it to is bread I make usually using about 1-1/2 teaspoons for
4 cups flour.
I do like the Ceylon cinnamon; next time, I think I'll try a little nutmeg,
too; I stay away from allspice (headache big time!)
Dee