Vox Humana

http://images.google.com/images?q=cinnamon+roll&hl=en

> >> Speaking of recipes - does anyone have a recipe for cinnamon rolls that
> >> turn out rather like PD_Cinnamon_roll_95_g_lyrical_2? That looks close

> >> the type of cinnamon roll *I'd* like to be able to make. It appears to

be
> >> one of the yeast-raised type, but all the recipes I've tried to date

fall
> >> into one of 2 categories, either the too-dry, not-very-yeasty, fluffy
> >> "supermarket" cinnamon roll (usually looking a bit like ICR01A, perhaps
> >> slightly flatter), or the absurdly sweet, greasy, heavy, WAAY-way
> >> overloaded "Cinnabon"-style roll (usually looking a bit like roll.jpg).
> >> At
> >> least from its appearance, the one I've singled out looks like it'd be

> > what
> >> I'm looking for - a rather bready, moist roll with a slightly crisp
> >> crust,
> >> pronounced but not aggressive cinnamon flavour, and most importantly,

not
> >> tooth-aching sweetness.

> > The sweetness and the intensity of the cinnamon are nearly entirely
> > attributable to the filling and topping. There is a limit to the amount
> > of
> > sugar you can add to yeast dough before it fails to perform, so it is
> > unlikely that the dough is the sauce of too much sweetness unless your
> > threshold for sweetness is very low.
> >
> > I use the recipe for sweet dough that is in the Kitchen Aid stand mixer
> > cookbook. I roll that out, slather it with butter, sprinkle with brown
> > sugar and then with cinnamon. I don't measure the ingredients for the
> > filling. You can control the texture of the crust by the length of
> > baking,
> > the sweetness by moderating the sugar in the filling, the intensity of

the
> > cinnamon by using it sparingly. I think much of the cloying sweetness

of
> > the Cinnamon product is from the mountain of frosting they slather on

it.
> > 3/4 cup milk
> > 1/2 cup sugar
> > 1 1/4 tsp salt
> > 1/2 cup butter
> > 2 pkgs. yeast
> > 1/3 cup of warm water ( 105-115F)
> > 3 eggs
> > 5/12 to 6 1/2 cups AP flour
> >

> > Prepare dough as you would any other bread (I will list the instructions
> > if
> > you want, but I assume that you know how to make yeasted dough) and let
> > rise
> > until double.
> >
> > Deflate dough, roll out into rectangle approx. 14 x 20. Spread or

brush
> > on
> > a thin coating of soft butter. Sprinkle with sugar or brown sugar and
> > then
> > with cinnamon. Roll, starting at long end. Cut into slices approx. 1 -
> > 1.25
> > inches thick. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Let rise until
> > nearly
> > double. Bake in preheated, 350F oven for 25-30 minutes. Let cool.
> > Drizzle
> > with glaze or frost as desired.
> >
> > I think this tends to fulfill your requirement of being yeasty,
> > bread-like,
> > and moist. The sweetness and spiciness is up to you.
> >

> Dear Vox,
> I am preparing my dough. Since it is such a big amount of dough, I'm
> wondering if you've frozen half your dough at any time. If you have, at
> what point have you frozen it.
> Here are the instructions from the sweet dough recipe - paraphrasing:
> "Place in a bowl and let rise about an hour."
> At this point after you take it out of the bowl, I guess is the point I
> could freeze the half batch of dough?
> Thanks so much.
> Dee

I think you could freeze it either went it is just mixed (before the 1st
rise) or after. With all the sugar and fat in the dough, I find it takes a
good amount of time to rise, so I don't know how it would be out of the
freezer. You would probably have to let it defrost in the refrigerator over
night.

If you don't want that much dough, half the recipe. I do this regularly and
make it in the food processor. I put all the dry ingredients, including the
instant yeast in the bowl and pulse it a few times. Then I add the eggs,
water, and butter. While it is running , I add enough warm milk to make a
proper dough. It is so quick that it is probably less fuss to make it fresh
than to freeze. However, if I were to freeze the dough, I would just make
up the rolls and freeze them. I would then take them out of the freezer and
let them rise and then bake. That way, I would be able to make one or two
at a time. This would be especially handy for weekend breakfasts/brunch.
The night before I would put a couple rolls in the refrigerator and then
remove them in the morning to finish rising. I have been known to put cold
dough in the microwave at 30% power for a minute or so to quickly bring it
to room temperature. You would have to experiment with you oven doing it in
30 second bursts until you get a feel for the amount of time required.

I have a Seal-A-Meal which allows you to stop the vacuum and seal as needed.
For delicate items I often abort the cycle before things are crushed. If I
were freezing baked goods, I would put them on a tray, cover with film, and
freeze solid for a few hours. Then, I would put the individually frozen
items in the Foodsaver bags and vacuum pack them. I do this with raw cookie
dough. I scoop out the dough, freeze solid, and then packages the portioned
raw dough. Then I just remove as much dough as I want and bake as usual
adding about 5 minutes to the baking time. That way I can mix a double or
triple batch of dough and we can have fresh cookies at a moment's notice.
Pre-freezing and then packaging is often the best solution for delicate
items.