Dee Randall

http://images.google.com/images?q=cinnamon+roll&hl=en

> [...]

>> attributable to the filling and topping. There is a limit to the amount
>> of
>> sugar you can add to yeast dough before it fails to perform, so it is
>> unlikely that the dough is the sauce of too much sweetness unless your
>> threshold for sweetness is very low.
>>
>> I use the recipe for sweet dough that is in the Kitchen Aid stand mixer
>> cookbook. I roll that out, slather it with butter, sprinkle with brown
>> sugar and then with cinnamon. I don't measure the ingredients for the
>> filling. You can control the texture of the crust by the length of
>> baking,
>> the sweetness by moderating the sugar in the filling, the intensity of
>> the
>> cinnamon by using it sparingly. I think much of the cloying sweetness of
>> the Cinnamon product is from the mountain of frosting they slather on it.
>> 3/4 cup milk
>> 1/2 cup sugar
>> 1 1/4 tsp salt
>> 1/2 cup butter
>> 2 pkgs. yeast
>> 1/3 cup of warm water ( 105-115F)
>> 3 eggs
>> 5/12 to 6 1/2 cups AP flour
>>

>> Prepare dough as you would any other bread (I will list the instructions
>> if
>> you want, but I assume that you know how to make yeasted dough) and let
>> rise
>> until double.
>>
>> Deflate dough, roll out into rectangle approx. 14 x 20. Spread or brush
>> on
>> a thin coating of soft butter. Sprinkle with sugar or brown sugar and
>> then
>> with cinnamon. Roll, starting at long end. Cut into slices approx. 1 -
>> 1.25
>> inches thick. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Let rise until
>> nearly
>> double. Bake in preheated, 350F oven for 25-30 minutes. Let cool.
>> Drizzle
>> with glaze or frost as desired.
>>
>> I think this tends to fulfill your requirement of being yeasty,
>> bread-like,
>> and moist. The sweetness and spiciness is up to you.
>>

> Many thanks for this recipe!!! I detest cinnamon buns due to the awful,
> cloying smells in just about every shopping mall!
> Therefore, I have just adapted your recipe and made maple-walnut buns
> instead. I've posted the results to yahoo
> http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...ase.yahoo.com/
>
> I reduced the sugar by 40g and substituted 40g of maple syrup instead.
> After rolling out and brushing with butter, I sprinkled 115g of coarse
> maple sugar and 100g chopped walnuts over the dough and rolled as
> instructed. After baking I brushed the tops with maple syrup.
> Next time, I'll replace all the sugar in the dough with maple syrup and
> adjust the flour accordingly. This is the first time I've ever made this
> type of roll/bun and I know now that it won't be the last!

Yum, Graham. Mine are still on the table rising. I went by the recipe and
sprinkled organic (light brown) sugar over butter. I sprinkled some half-way
special cinnamon (from Penzy's). Mine won't all cling together because I'm
going to try to make them more separate. I think I'll brush the tops with
butter instead of, as you did, maple syrup.
It's getting a little late here, so I think they'll be ready by 10 pm. Too
late to put the coffee-pot on. I hope they will not stale-up before
breakfast. I'm still wondering if these can be put in my food-saver, when I
get it. Not these, of course, but the next ones I make.
Dee Dee