graham

.. .

http://images.google.com/images?q=cinnamon+roll&hl=en

> [...]
>> one of the yeast-raised type, but all the recipes I've tried to date fall
>> into one of 2 categories, either the too-dry, not-very-yeasty, fluffy
>> "supermarket" cinnamon roll (usually looking a bit like ICR01A, perhaps
>> slightly flatter), or the absurdly sweet, greasy, heavy, WAAY-way
>> overloaded "Cinnabon"-style roll (usually looking a bit like roll.jpg).
>> At
>> least from its appearance, the one I've singled out looks like it'd be

> what
>> I'm looking for - a rather bready, moist roll with a slightly crisp
>> crust,
>> pronounced but not aggressive cinnamon flavour, and most importantly, not
>> tooth-aching sweetness.

> The sweetness and the intensity of the cinnamon are nearly entirely
> attributable to the filling and topping. There is a limit to the amount
> of
> sugar you can add to yeast dough before it fails to perform, so it is
> unlikely that the dough is the sauce of too much sweetness unless your
> threshold for sweetness is very low.
>
> I use the recipe for sweet dough that is in the Kitchen Aid stand mixer
> cookbook. I roll that out, slather it with butter, sprinkle with brown
> sugar and then with cinnamon. I don't measure the ingredients for the
> filling. You can control the texture of the crust by the length of
> baking,
> the sweetness by moderating the sugar in the filling, the intensity of the
> cinnamon by using it sparingly. I think much of the cloying sweetness of
> the Cinnamon product is from the mountain of frosting they slather on it.
> 3/4 cup milk
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 1/4 tsp salt
> 1/2 cup butter
> 2 pkgs. yeast
> 1/3 cup of warm water ( 105-115F)
> 3 eggs
> 5/12 to 6 1/2 cups AP flour
>

> Prepare dough as you would any other bread (I will list the instructions
> if
> you want, but I assume that you know how to make yeasted dough) and let
> rise
> until double.
>
> Deflate dough, roll out into rectangle approx. 14 x 20. Spread or brush
> on
> a thin coating of soft butter. Sprinkle with sugar or brown sugar and
> then
> with cinnamon. Roll, starting at long end. Cut into slices approx. 1 -
> 1.25
> inches thick. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Let rise until
> nearly
> double. Bake in preheated, 350F oven for 25-30 minutes. Let cool.
> Drizzle
> with glaze or frost as desired.
>
> I think this tends to fulfill your requirement of being yeasty,
> bread-like,
> and moist. The sweetness and spiciness is up to you.

Many thanks for this recipe!!! I detest cinnamon buns due to the awful,
cloying smells in just about every shopping mall!
Therefore, I have just adapted your recipe and made maple-walnut buns
instead. I've posted the results to yahoo
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...ase.yahoo.com/

I reduced the sugar by 40g and substituted 40g of maple syrup instead.
After rolling out and brushing with butter, I sprinkled 115g of coarse maple
sugar and 100g chopped walnuts over the dough and rolled as instructed.
After baking I brushed the tops with maple syrup.
Next time, I'll replace all the sugar in the dough with maple syrup and
adjust the flour accordingly. This is the first time I've ever made this
type of roll/bun and I know now that it won't be the last!
Again, thanks for the recipe.
Graham