Old 16-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Bruce

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:48:28 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

Maybe you can explain something. I see lots of tiny Asian restaurants that
pop-up here and there in my area. The people who work there seem to be new
to this county based on their command of the language. Their restaurants
seem to survive while others, even big chains, come and go. Are these
people experience restaurant operators in their native land, and then move
here with a complete set of skill and good capitalization? Is there
something in the culture that makes them successful? What surprises me also
is that I live in an area that is on the fringe of Appalachia, not an area
that has a reputation for being curious or even accepting of other cultures.
I'm a bit surprised that there is a demand for Asian food, yet there is an
Asian buffet in every strip center.

My Hypothesis

1. Family owned and operated. All family members contribute by
working hard without near the headaches and hassles of having to hire
"employees".

2. The owners watch their expenses in the business and their personal
lives. They live cheaply and work hard to pass success on to the next
generation.

3. Culturally, especially for immigrants they are willing to put forth
effort to make a living. They are not necessarily trying to make
enough money to buy big houses and fancy cars. They live simply.

4. Asian restaurants are able to use fillers that increases profit
margins. Rice, chicken, noodles, etc.

5. They may also be cutting some corners on family members who are
tipped by not declaring the money for tax purposes.

6. Family members may work when they are underage. Children can do
some jobs in a family restaurant that would not be tolerated in other
restaurants.

Bruce