Old 15-09-2005, 07:33 PM

I think these sorts of Asian restraurants also make great use of available
labor and special relationships with their suppliers- and even their
landlords if they lease their space. The staff/owners also seem to
tolerate financial/material elements many other restaurants and businesses
would never accept. I suspect they represent a successful business model
that has a lot to offer.

Thank you for your input!

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Dee Randall" wrote in message

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Jumping Jack Flash" wrote in message
. ..
I am involved in the start-up of a restaurant in the

Dayton-Cininnati,
Ohio
area.

If you are a professional associated with a start up....you must
already know the answers to these questions.

If you don't.....get out of the restaurant business...right now!

YOU
are about to loose your shirt, pants and jock strap in one swoop!

Bravo!!! Couldn't have said it better. I am in the Restaurant
Equipment
business, and I can spot a potential failure within 5 minutes of an
initial
meeting. The common thread is that they don't know what they're
getting
into.

Maybe you can explain something. I see lots of tiny Asian restaurants
that
pop-up here and there in my area. The people who work there seem to be
new
to this county based on their command of the language. Their

restaurants
seem to survive while others, even big chains, come and go. Are these
people experience restaurant operators in their native land, and then

move
here with a complete set of skill and good capitalization? Is there
something in the culture that makes them successful? What surprises me
also
is that I live in an area that is on the fringe of Appalachia, not an

area
that has a reputation for being curious or even accepting of other
cultures.
I'm a bit surprised that there is a demand for Asian food, yet there is

an
Asian buffet in every strip center.

I've observed what you are saying and have mused until I came up with
this
answer; however misguided it may be.
There two Asian restaurants that are in our area that have been in

business
for at least 13 years that I've been here. Most of the people that eat

there
are really hearty eaters; they pile on there plates all manner of fried
foods and will eat almost anything that is breaded and deep fried. These
two restaurants are near an exit and both are near huge parking areas for
big trucks. I've seen other travelers who are passing thru that seem to
know about these restaurants (from overhearing their conversations - one
cannot help but hear!). One restaurant has remained consistent in its
quality and we have gone a few times over the years; but the other seemed

bit unclean, so we stopped going there. But one of the main reason to me
that they stay in businesss is that there are a lot of people who pass

thru
the doors who want lots of calories. I note that not many have the
seaweed
strips (salad) or kimchee, but I get all the pink ginger slices I want
because no one else seems to take them.
Dee Dee

I think that is true for the buffet format restaurants in general. We
have
three Asian buffets in our small suburban area which until recently was on
the fringe of civilization. There are also two "steak" buffets, Ryan's
and
Golden Corral. The Appalachian Highway starts here and cuts across the
least
populated and poorest area of the state. I think that some of the patrons
may be from the freeway but a lot of them are from the east, where there
is
little but feed mills and farm supply stores. All the buffets are always
jammed, but the food is poor in my opinion and the cleanliness is
marginal.
I am generally put-off by buffets. One only has to sit back and observer
for
a while to see stomach-turning behavior. People cough into their hands
and
then pick up the serving utensils. Other graze from the buffet, licking
their fingers and then plunging them into containers of food. And don't
get
me started about the kids! People let their kids go wild at these places.
I have seen kids do unmentionable things and the parents seem oblivious.
Considering that the food all comes from boxes and cans, I can get a
better
meal at home and don't have to worry about the possibility that some
little
darling licked the serving spoon and then put it back into the salad
dressing.