Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Jumping Jack Flash" > wrote in message
> > . ..

Dayton-Cininnati,

YOU

> >> Bravo!!! Couldn't have said it better. I am in the Restaurant Equipment
> >> business, and I can spot a potential failure within 5 minutes of an

> > initial
> >> meeting. The common thread is that they don't know what they're getting
> >> into.

> > Maybe you can explain something. I see lots of tiny Asian restaurants
> > that
> > pop-up here and there in my area. The people who work there seem to be
> > new
> > to this county based on their command of the language. Their

restaurants
> > seem to survive while others, even big chains, come and go. Are these
> > people experience restaurant operators in their native land, and then

move
> > here with a complete set of skill and good capitalization? Is there
> > something in the culture that makes them successful? What surprises me
> > also
> > is that I live in an area that is on the fringe of Appalachia, not an

area
> > that has a reputation for being curious or even accepting of other
> > cultures.
> > I'm a bit surprised that there is a demand for Asian food, yet there is

an
> > Asian buffet in every strip center.
> >

> I've observed what you are saying and have mused until I came up with this
> answer; however misguided it may be.
> There two Asian restaurants that are in our area that have been in

business
> for at least 13 years that I've been here. Most of the people that eat

there
> are really hearty eaters; they pile on there plates all manner of fried
> foods and will eat almost anything that is breaded and deep fried. These
> two restaurants are near an exit and both are near huge parking areas for
> big trucks. I've seen other travelers who are passing thru that seem to
> know about these restaurants (from overhearing their conversations - one
> cannot help but hear!). One restaurant has remained consistent in its
> quality and we have gone a few times over the years; but the other seemed

> bit unclean, so we stopped going there. But one of the main reason to me
> that they stay in businesss is that there are a lot of people who pass

thru
> the doors who want lots of calories. I note that not many have the seaweed
> strips (salad) or kimchee, but I get all the pink ginger slices I want
> because no one else seems to take them.
> Dee Dee

I think that is true for the buffet format restaurants in general. We have
three Asian buffets in our small suburban area which until recently was on
the fringe of civilization. There are also two "steak" buffets, Ryan's and
Golden Corral. The Appalachian Highway starts here and cuts across the least
populated and poorest area of the state. I think that some of the patrons
may be from the freeway but a lot of them are from the east, where there is
little but feed mills and farm supply stores. All the buffets are always
jammed, but the food is poor in my opinion and the cleanliness is marginal.
I am generally put-off by buffets. One only has to sit back and observer for
a while to see stomach-turning behavior. People cough into their hands and
then pick up the serving utensils. Other graze from the buffet, licking
their fingers and then plunging them into containers of food. And don't get
me started about the kids! People let their kids go wild at these places.
I have seen kids do unmentionable things and the parents seem oblivious.
Considering that the food all comes from boxes and cans, I can get a better
meal at home and don't have to worry about the possibility that some little
darling licked the serving spoon and then put it back into the salad
dressing.