Mite

Reg wrote:

> Mite wrote:
>
> > As a side question... I have always wondered when I see "double in
> > size", is it meant that the volume of the dough should double in size,
> > - meaning that the diameter increases by a mere 26%, - or does it mean
> > that the diameter should double in size, meaning that the volume of the
> > dough actually increases by a factor 8? I saw this instruction written
> > in many places, but nowhere is it explained what is meant by it. My
> > guess - seeing what my dough does - is that it is the second one (the
> > diameter doubles in size), except as it tends to increase more in size
> > laterally, the increase in volume is probably nearer to 4 or 6 than 8.
> > Any thoughts?

> By double in size it's meant double in volume.

Thank you, Reg!

Are you sure that it is really what is meant? In all the web sites I
could find with pictures of bread rising, the dough diameter had
increased by 50% or more, which corresponds to 3.4 times (or more) the
original volume.
See for example:
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/...eadmaking.html
http://www.sourdoughhome.com/pfbakingintro2.html

>From the pictures in both sites, I estimate the dough volume increased

by about 4, although they write that the size doubled. I found several
other sites with a similar increase in volume. Either the site authors
don't know how to make bread, or there is a misunderstanding about the
meaning of "double size".

Mite
http://www.shopncook.com