Dee Randall

"chembake" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> >Hmmm: I suspected that, but for some reason, it had the texture more of a
>>brioche.

> Dee
>
> Some danish pastries are made by scotch methods where the chunks of
> fat are mixed in with the dough pieces and then sheeted, given a book
> turn, allowed to rest in the fridge to recover its extensibility anf
> firm up the fat ;then sheeted and given another book or either 3- fold
> /half turn and then allowed to rest again before finall its sheeted to
> the requred thickness where the desired filling is spread and then
> rolled in the swiss roll fashion,
> That technique can produce textures that range from brioche l to
> croissant similarity depending on the number of sheeting and turning
> as well as the skill of the baker.

I think I'm going to have to read up more on croissant making. I really
know nothing about it, having had a class once where we made croissants by a
method similar to that you are describing above. I realized I never wanted
to make croissants at that time as it was too labor intensive. And I've not
eaten a lot of croissants during my lifetime as a result of that class some
25 years ago. I pass them up in the stores all the time for that reason as
well as thinking I'd rather have something tastier for all those calories.

But this cinnamon roll-pastry that I had - of all places, Starbucks several
months ago (I don't drink Starbucks, don't get me started) - just has kept
the thought of trying to make one like it, but I think it would probably
take an experienced person to decide what made this particular pastry better
than any other of its kind tastier to me. It's wishful thinking on my part
and probably something I'll have to ask at the 'pearly gates.' I'd be
willing to try, but it would be a struggle going thru every cinnamon
roll-pastry recipe on the bookshelves.
Much appreciation,
Dee