Brick

On 11-Sep-2005, "mikehende" > wrote:

> Most people I know when bbquing, boil or steam the chicken first becuase it
> takes a long time to cook, what I would like to know is what tips you pros
> have for grilling chicken [without steaming] or any other meat that would
> normally take a very long time like a big slab of steak, thanks.

This is the first I have heard of anyone boiling or steaming chicken prior to
BBQ'ing, (read 'smoke roasting'). Many of us brine birds overnight or even
for a couple of days, but it isn't necessary. Brining changes the whole
texture of a bird which many find highly desirable as a variant, but not
necessarily an exclusive method.

Perhaps your definition of 'a very long time' would be of some help here. I
can't associate 'a very long time' with any cut of steak. You put a 3# sirloin
over a 500° to 600°F fire and it'll be done in about two beers time or less.
A more normal 1-1/2# X 1" thick steak would be done before I could finish
one beer.

Whole chickens will cook in 2 hrs or so at 225° to 275°, probably 20 min's if
you cut 'em up and grill them.

I can't imagine the circumstances that would push me into boiling or
steaming chicken prior to grilling or 'Q'ing'. Maybe an old hen retired
finally after her egg laying days were over would qualify, but I'd more
likely render such a bird into stock or soup.
--
The Brick said that (While wallowing in confusion)