Randall Nortman

On 2005-09-14, Reg > wrote:
> Mite wrote:
>
>> As a side question... I have always wondered when I see "double in
>> size", is it meant that the volume of the dough should double in size,
>> - meaning that the diameter increases by a mere 26%, - or does it mean
>> that the diameter should double in size, meaning that the volume of the
>> dough actually increases by a factor 8? I saw this instruction written
>> in many places, but nowhere is it explained what is meant by it. My
>> guess - seeing what my dough does - is that it is the second one (the
>> diameter doubles in size), except as it tends to increase more in size
>> laterally, the increase in volume is probably nearer to 4 or 6 than 8.
>> Any thoughts?

> By double in size it's meant double in volume.

And if you want to do that accurately, do it in a translucent or
transparent straight-sided container (not a bowl with sloping sides,
press the dough into it so the top is flat, and mark the starting
height with marker or a piece of tape. Because the sides are
straight, you know that when the height is double, the volume is
double. You can get cylindrical food-safe plastic containers with
lids in 2-, 4-, and 6-qt sizes (in the US) from restaurant supply
stores, which are perfect for this task.

But as others have said, recipes tell you to go for a particular
volume increase because it's easier than explaining how to tell when
dough is properly risen, which takes some experience and is best
taught in person. The brief explanation is usually that fully-risen
dough will not spring back quickly when you make indentations in it
with your fingertips (trim nails, please). How well this test works
depends a lot on the nature of the dough you're working with -- for
the OP's type of dough (all white flour, straight dough, mid-range
hydration, I'm guessing), it should work pretty well as a first
approximation.

--
Randall