Mite

I Knead the Dough wrote:

> I always follow the instructions to the letter. Kneading takes 10 minutes,
> after which I let it "double in size" (that's *so* specific!).

As a side question... I have always wondered when I see "double in
size", is it meant that the volume of the dough should double in size,
- meaning that the diameter increases by a mere 26%, - or does it mean
that the diameter should double in size, meaning that the volume of the
dough actually increases by a factor 8? I saw this instruction written
in many places, but nowhere is it explained what is meant by it. My
guess - seeing what my dough does - is that it is the second one (the
diameter doubles in size), except as it tends to increase more in size
laterally, the increase in volume is probably nearer to 4 or 6 than 8.
Any thoughts?

Mite
http://www.shopncook.com