Marcella Peek

> "I Knead the Dough" > wrote in message
> >
> > Question is - is this possible? I wonder if a *second* kneading, or
> > something, would result in a lighter product? Or perhaps letting the dough
> > sit longer? Perhaps adding some ingredient that's not mentioned in the
> > instructions, like sugar?
> >
> > Anyone else use the basic methodology, above, and get a non-dense result?

> Or
> > is that just the way of things?!

Hmmm...my first thought would have been the higher protein flour being
the problem, but it sounds like the result is the same with regular
flour.

My second guess would be too little water. A wetter dough might help.

Third guess is...Are you just kneading with the clock, or are you
kneading until the dough changes to become very smooth, shiny and
elastic? With good gluten development the bread can hold more air and
thus be lighter.

A second kneading will produce a finer crumb, not necessarily a lighter
texture.

You might also be sure to let the dough rise fully before baking. Let
the next batch rise a bit longer and see if that makes a difference.

marcella