Vox Humana

"I Knead the Dough" > wrote in message
> Yes . . . . and hello to you all!
>
> This post's about the hand-baking of white bread. I've made quite a few,
> now, and whereas I'm very happy with the *taste* of the finished product,
> it's in the *texture* department that I feel improvements could be made

in.

> I'm from the UK, and I tend to use the 'Super Strong' white bread flour

made
> by the Hovis company (though I've also used the standard-grade stuff by

the
> same firm), and their 'Fast Action' yeast, which only requires one

"kneading
> and proving".
>
> I always follow the instructions to the letter. Kneading takes 10 minutes,
> after which I let it "double in size" (that's *so* specific!). As it's

still
> summer, that usually means I allow it to sit for about an hour-and-a-half,
> at room temperature, before I pop it into the oven for half an hour (230°
> C). In winter, I'll place the dough somewhere warm.
>
> When finished, it looks good, and tastes good. The problem is that it

tends
> to be a little . . . . well . . . . "denser" than the uncut loaves I can

buy
> from a baker. Nothing wrong with that, as such, but I'd really like to try
> and aim for something a little lighter, while still keeping the great

taste.

> Question is - is this possible? I wonder if a *second* kneading, or
> something, would result in a lighter product? Or perhaps letting the dough
> sit longer? Perhaps adding some ingredient that's not mentioned in the
> instructions, like sugar?
>
> Anyone else use the basic methodology, above, and get a non-dense result?

Or
> is that just the way of things?!

The advice you got was sound, but here is my take. If you want fluffy bread
with an even crumb, you have to do the opposite of what is recommended for
"good" bread. I would use all-purpose flour, use a generous amount of
sugar, add some bland oil, use lots of yeast, let it rise in a warm place,
let the formed loaf nearly over-proof before baking. I know that people
will be horrified at that advice, but it does produce a product that is
fairly close to "Wonder Bread." It is the advice I give people who want
recreate the rolls they used to eat in the school cafeteria.

For about 450gm of flour (3 1/2 cups or a pound), I might use two packets or
a heaping tablespoon of instant yeast, two teaspoons of salt, two tablespoon
sugar, three tablespoons vegetable oil, and enough rather warm milk (115F -
120F) to produce a slightly sticky dough. I knead in the food processor or
stand mixer, but you could do it by hand. Round-up the dough and let it
rise in an oiled bowl in a warm location until double - about an hour.
Deflate, form into a loaf or rolls, and let rise until double again. Bake
at 400 for 35-540 minutes for the loaf and at 350 for 25-30 minutes for the
rolls. The bread will be light and bland with a uniform, fine crumb and
have a yeasty flavor and soft crust. It will be the antithesis of artisan
bread.