Victor Sack

Phred > wrote:

> There's something I've been meaning to ask you (and any others who
> wish to comment) for some time now: How do you cook an Indian
> omlette?

I would say there are as many general ways to cook an omelette in India
as there are various peoples and regions, in addition to personal
variations. Here is a Bengali recipe I posted some years ago,
translated from _Küchen der Welt: Indien_ by Marcela and Bikash
Kumar.

Omelette in Curry Sauce
Omlet Kari

Serves 6

6 eggs
salt
8 tablespoons oil
250 g (9 oz) waxy potatoes
3 medium-sized onions
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon "sweet" paprika powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. Beat the eggs and some salt.

2. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan and pour in half of the beaten eggs.
Make an omelette over medium heat, frying it for 1-2 minutes on each
side, until golden-brown. Take it out and put on a plate. Make a
second omelette the same way.

3. Fold each omelette twice, making a longish roll. Cut each roll
across in 6 pieces. Set aside.

4. Rinse and peel the potatoes and cut in cubes of about 3 cm (1.2 in).
Peel and chop the onions. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a saucepan and fry
the onions over medium heat until golden. Add the spices and some salt
to taste and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring.

5. Add 350 ml (1.5 cup) water and the potatoes, and bring to the boil.
Cook, covered, over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add the omelette
pieces and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the potatoes are ready.
Serve with rice or naan bread.

Victor