Dimitri

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, I'm sure this topic has been addressed in one form or another on
> the net. I've done some searching and found many threads about ice
> cream.
>
> The question I pose is pretty specific (in my mind) though. Does
> anyone else remember the vanilla ice cream that little old ladies made
> at church functions / social events? I can envision a certain taste, a
> certain texture that I still long for to this day. It's been at least
> 15 years since I had such an ice cream.
>
> In an attempt to recreate my childhood memory, I bought a "bachelor"
> ice cream maker, VillaWare brand, but it's just not the same. Maybe
> the maker has nothing to do with it.
>
> I'm using a simple vanilla recipe from a Ben and Jerry's recipe book.
> Heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, eggs. Very
> straightforward, but it comes nowhere near the taste I'm looking for.

I don't have the book is the mixture cooked?

If not see below:

Dimitri

Home > Recipes

Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
Show: Good Eats
Episode: Churn Baby Churn, 2

3 cups half-and-half
1 cup heavy cream
8 large egg yolks
9 ounces vanilla sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Place the half-and-half and the heavy cream into a medium saucepan, over medium
heat. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from
the heat.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color.
Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Temper the cream mixture into the
eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about a third of the
cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire
mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring
frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon
and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F. Pour the mixture into a container and allow to
sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. Place the
mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form
condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the
temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.
Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's
directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Serve as is for
soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.