Old 09-09-2005, 12:08 AM
Vox Humana

"maria" wrote in message
news[email protected]
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:54:53 +0100, Vox Humana

wrote:

"maria" wrote in message
news[email protected]
Thanks very much! I went to that site however and found conversions for
bread but not cakes. That means I am not sure how to convert the eggs,
sugar or other things that are in a cake but not in bread!

Then you missed the fundamental concept. You could apply this to any
baked
goods: cakes, bread, cookies, ... You first convert all the
ingredients to
weight if necessary. For instance, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of AP
flour, you have to convert that to 120 grams of flour. One egg is 50
grams.
Since you are in the UK, I skipped this point as I assumed you were
already
using weight measures instead of cup measurements.

Once the ingredients are converted to weight, you choose a reference
ingredient (usually the one with the highest weight, like flour) and

make
that the 100% reference. You calculate the ratios from that as
explained in
the many sites at the link I posted. So if your cake recipe calls for
300g
of flour and you want to increase the recipe to fit a 20% larger pan,

the
flour weight is increased to 360 grams. If the sugar is 100% of the
flour
weight, it now 360 grams, also. If the fat is 20% of the flour weight,
it
now becomes 72g. If the weight of the eggs is 30% of the flour weight,
then
you use 108 grams of eggs. Technically, the amount of leavening agent
doesn't increase proportionally as the pan size increases, but within

the
limits of the home kitchen, I wouldn't worry about it. For very small
measurement like "1/4 tsp. of nutmeg" I just estimate.

If you need to calculate the weight of given amount of an ingredient,

there
are a couple of good methods. First, nutrition labels (at least in the
US)
state the serving size in both cup and weight measurements. For
instance,
AP flours says the serving size is 1/4 cup or 30 grams. Therefore a cup
of
AP flour is 120 grams. If that doesn't work, you can find the data by
searching the USDA nutrition database:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

If you search on "egg" you will find many choices including "whole, raw
egg"
After selecting that choice you will find that one large egg is 50

grams.

I pencil in the weights and percentages in my cookbooks as I go.

Wow thanks for the detail-- that makes perfect sense. Great.

No problem. It all seems very complex until you do it once.